Werner with his dog Jack.
1. How long have you been eating a Zero Carb (No Plant Foods) diet?
Almost 2 years.
2. What motivated you to try this way of eating? Weight? Health?
3. How long did it take you to adapt to a Zero Carb diet, both physically and psychologically?
Maybe about 2 months.
4. What books or people were most influential in guiding you to this way of eating?
Primal Blueprint and Atkins.
5. Do you eat only meat, or do you include eggs, cheese, and cream in your diet?
I eat only raw, grassfed beef.
6. What percentage of your diet is beef versus other types of meats?
100 % Beef.
7. When you eat beef, do you cook it rare, medium, or well done?
I eat my meat raw. Cooked meat gives me heart burn, but raw meat does not.
8. Do you add extra fat to your meat? (i.e. butter, lard, tallow)
I add 2 oz of melted KerryGold Butter to 8 oz of my raw beef.
9. Do you limit your meat consumption or do you eat until satisfied?
I eat until satisfied.
10. Do you eat liver or other organ meats? If so, how often?
11. Do you consume bone broth? If so, how often?
12. How many meals do you eat per day on average?
3 meals a day.
13. How much meat do you eat per day on average?
About 1 1/2 pound.
14. Do you eat grass-fed/pasture-raised meat, or regular commercially produced meat?
Only eat grass-fed.
15. Do you drink any beverages besides water? (i.e. coffee, tea)
Only mineral water from glass bottles.
16. Do you use salt?
Only salted butter, no extra salt.
17. Do you use spices?
18. Do you take any supplements?
Yes. I Magnesium, Co-Q 10, and Fish Oil.
19. How much money do you spend on food each month?
About $250 a month.
20. Do you have any tips for making this diet more affordable?
If you eat only meat, and no buy anything extra, that alone will save you money. I used to spend much more when I was a vegetarian.
21. Do you exercise regularly? If so, how often and how vigorously?
I run and work out on a rowing machine. Daily.
22. What benefits have you experienced since beginning a Zero Carb diet? (i.e. recovery from illness, overall health, body composition, exercise performance, hormonal, mental or psychological, etc.)
My overall health and energy are much better. At 68, I feel better now than when I was in my 30’s.
23. What do you enjoy most about eating a Zero Carb diet?
The simplicity of it all … meat and water.
24. Do you have any advice for someone who is just beginning a Zero Carb diet?
Read lots of books and follow the zero carb groups on Facebook for support.
25. Are your friends and family supportive of your Zero Carb lifestyle? If not, how do you handle this?
I don’t know about being supportive. Most of my family don’t believe me.
26. Is there anything you would like share about this way of eating that I have not already asked you?
Do it for yourself … and mostly for your health and overall well being.
Werner running up the John Hancock building in Chicago.
Please visit my “Interviews” page linked at the top of this website to read the stories of other long time Zero Carb veterans.
If you are interested in meeting others who practice an All-Meat diet, please feel free to join us in the Facebook group “Principia Carnivora” for support.