Editor’s note: “Jeremy Bryant” is a pseudonym because the interviewee prefers to remain anonymous.
1. How long have you been eating a Zero Carb (No Plant Foods) diet?
Between 3 and 4 years, I’m not exactly sure of my start date. My current WOE evolved from my early experiments with a ketogenic diet.
2. What motivated you to try this way of eating? Weight? Health?
I was interested in increasing my athletic performance and improving my body composition.
3. How long did it take you to adapt to a Zero Carb diet, both physically and psychologically?
It took only about 2 weeks to make the physical adaptations, since I had already been consuming mostly meat on a ketogenic diet for 2 years prior to going zero carb.
Psychological adaptation was similar, once I realized how much better I felt it was easy to stick with it.
4. What books or people were most influential in guiding you to this way of eating?
Book – The Fat of the Land
People – Gary Taubes, The Bear
There are others but I can’t for the life of me remember their names, many informative YouTube presentations.
5. Do you eat only meat, or do you include eggs, cheese, and cream in your diet?
I include eggs, cheese, and heavy cream.
6. What percentage of your diet is beef verses other types of meats?
Close to 70% beef.
7. When you eat beef, do you cook it rare, medium, or well done?
8. Do you add extra fat to your meat? (i.e. butter, lard, tallow)
Yes, whenever possible, usually bacon fat
9. Do you limit your meat consumption or do you eat until satisfied?
Eat until satisfied, sometimes I’ll go up to 12 hours or so fasted, then eat until full. I eat when I’m hungry, and stop when I’m satiated.
10. Do you eat liver or other organ meats? If so, how often?
I have before, but not many times and not on a regular basis.
11. Do you consume bone broth? If so, how often?
I love it when it’s around, but do not generally go out of my way to acquire it.
12. How many meals do you eat per day on average?
1 – 2
13. How much meat do you eat per day on average?
Usually between 1.5 to 3 lbs
14. Do you eat grass-fed/pasture-raised meat, or regular commercially produced meat?
Grass fed and finished whenever possible.
15. Do you drink any beverages besides water? (i.e. coffee, tea)
Decaf coffee, decaf/herbal teas.
16. Do you use salt?
17. Do you use spices?
18. Do you take any supplements?
19. How much money do you spend on food each month?
$400 to $800 dollars, but I go out to eat nearly every day. When I worked less and had time to cook for myself, I was usually sub $500 a month.
20. Do you have any tips for making this diet more affordable?
Buy in bulk and cut steaks yourself, be on the look out for sales.
21. Do you exercise regularly? If so, how often and how vigorously?
Daily vigorous activity for 1 to 2 hours, as well as a physically demanding job 6 days a week.
22. What benefits have you experienced since beginning a Zero Carb diet? (i.e. recovery from illness, overall health, body composition, exercise performance, hormonal, mental or psychological, etc.)
Acne and pimples have greatly diminished.
Body composition has improved significantly, with literally zero change to my level of activity.
Able to go long stretches of fasting with little-to-no hunger.
Reduction in anxiety.
23. What do you enjoy most about eating a Zero Carb diet?
I love the simplicity! Makes grocery shopping a breeze.
24. Do you have any advice for someone who is just beginning a Zero Carb diet?
Drink TONS of water. I’ve found that my body seems to require a higher level of hydration to avoid muscle cramps and mood issues/irritability.
25. Are your friends and family supportive of your Zero Carb lifestyle? If not, how do you handle this?
They aren’t exactly supportive, but they’ve come around. I don’t generally make a point of explaining myself to them. If they don’t like it, tough cookies.
26. Is there anything you would like share about this way of eating that I have not already asked you?
Not that I can think of.
Thanks for everything you do for us! Glad I could help with the questionnaire!
If you are interested in connecting with other carnivores, please join us in our Facebook group Principia Carnivora.