1. How long have you been eating a Zero Carb (No Plant Foods) diet?
3 years I failed my first carnivore diet in January and lasted 3 months before the ketoflu then tried again in September 2017, never stopped since.
2. What motivated you to try this way of eating? Weight? Health?
I was diagnosed pre diabetes through blood work and they let me know that I can “manage” it but it will steadily get worse and I may lose a leg, eyes, etc… from complications. They told me to manage it with diet and exercise.
Not willing to do the diet part so I took on exercise with OrangeTheory for 7 months and I gained one lb never lost so I decided to research and I found dietdoctor.com and tried the Low Carb High fat approach and lost 10 lbs within the first 2 weeks. I immediately knew there was something there but I tried it for 6 weeks and went back and gained weight.
So the next time around I did another 6 weeks challenge but I did not like the low carb option so I found websites like this one, Facebook Zeroing in on Health, the “Bear” Owsley, the Andersons, etc. and I was convinced to try this Way of Eating. I lasted 3 months and then got keto flu.
3. How long did it take you to adapt to a Zero Carb diet, both physically and psychologically?
The second time I was fully adapted after 3 months.
4. What books or people were most influential in guiding you to this way of eating?
Various authors like Gary Taubes, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Barry Groves, and many more.
5. Do you eat only meat, or do you include eggs, cheese, and cream in your diet?
I rarely eat eggs. I notice bloating with eggs, I did allow cheese, but I quit it again last month. I do no other dairy. I am lactose intolerant.
6. What percentage of your diet is beef versus other types of meats?
Beef Ribeyes are about 98% of my diet.
7. When you eat beef, do you cook it rare, medium, or well done?
Medium rare in an air fryer 7 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other.
8. Do you add extra fat to your meat? (i.e. butter, lard, tallow)
I eat untrimmed ribeye so I do no extra fats.
9. Do you limit your meat consumption or do you eat until satisfied?
I do not limit the amount I eat. When I eat I feast.
10. Do you eat liver or other organ meats? If so, how often?
Rarely eat liver but if I do it’s raw and about once every 3-6 months or so.
11. Do you consume bone broth? If so, how often?
I did consume bone broth early on, but not anymore.
12. How many meals do you eat per day on average?
The first 6 months of the year I will do Alternate Day Eating (ADE) and the last months I would eat One Meal a Day (OMAD).
13. How much meat do you eat per day on average?
I average anywhere from 2-3 lbs per day.
14. Do you eat grass-fed/pasture-raised meat, or regular commercially produced meat?
Commercial meat from Costco.
15. Do you drink any beverages besides water? (i.e. coffee, tea)
I have carbonated water at times and sometimes ice water.
16. Do you use salt?
Early carnivore I did salt heavily, but since last month I do no salt.
17. Do you use spices?
Also early on I did, but I do not use any spices now.
18. Do you take any supplements?
Early on I took some Betaine HCL and vegetable enzymes, but now I do not take any supplements.
19. How much money do you spend on food each month?
Roughly I spend $200 per week for myself.
20. Do you have any tips for making this diet more affordable?
Yes, eat beef patties and bacon.
21. Do you exercise regularly? If so, how often and how vigorously?
Yes, I do OrangeTheory (HIIT), Shotokan Karate and Jiu Jitsu. I work out around 4 days per week.
22. What benefits have you experienced since beginning a Zero Carb diet? (i.e. recovery from illness, overall health, body composition, exercise performance, hormonal, mental or psychological, etc.)
I used to have diverticulitis, plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, and many more issues all healed.
I rarely get a cold (I hit my record without a cold over one year) I used to get colds every other month before.
Body composition changed drastically, exercise performance I hit many personal records on carnivore that even in my 20s I could not do. For example run a 7 min/mile or run a 10 mile in 10 min/mile.
I have this constant Zen about me now. Nothing seems to bother me anymore.
I can get a tan and I do not use sunscreen.
I stopped deodorants and I do not use soap or shampoo when I shower. I never smell.
I have not gotten any new cavities since the carnivore diet, I used to have several every 6 month checkup.
23. What do you enjoy most about eating a Zero Carb diet?
This is a very easy diet, I don’t have to think about what I have to eat. Shopping for it is so easy also.
24. Do you have any advice for someone who is just beginning a Zero Carb diet?
Yes, it’s hard at first but once you adapt the cravings begin to go away. Just give it 3 months, the benefits are so worth it.
25. Are your friends and family supportive of your Zero Carb lifestyle? If not, how do you handle this?
No they all think i’m crazy, but I have convinced some friends to try it and my wife though not one ever lasts.
26. Is there anything you would like to share about this way of eating that I have not already asked you?
Yes. feel free to contact me if you need help starting the carnivore diet.
I am now a certified coach with MeatRx: